Power outages can happen unexpectedly and can last for hours, days, or even weeks. It is crucial to be prepared for such situations in order to keep yourself and your family safe. In this post, we will highlight some tips on how to prepare for power outages, recommend essential items to have on hand, and provide price estimates for each item.
Cities Prone to Power Outages
Before we dive into the tips and recommendations, it is important to note that some American cities are more prone to power outages than others. According to a report by Eaton Corporation, the top 5 cities in the United States with the most power outages are:
- Detroit, Michigan
- Cleveland, Ohio
- Akron, Ohio
- Memphis, Tennessee
- Toledo, Ohio
If you live in any of these cities, it is especially important to be prepared for power outages.
Tips for Preparing for Power Outages
Here are some things you can do around the house to prepare for power outages:
- Create a blackout kit: Prepare a kit that includes essentials such as flashlights, batteries, a first-aid kit, a portable radio, and non-perishable food items.
- Install surge protectors: Protect your appliances from power surges by installing surge protectors.
- Maintain your generator: If you have a generator, make sure it is maintained and ready to use in case of a power outage.
- Charge your devices: Charge your devices such as phones and laptops in advance, and consider purchasing a portable charger.
- Trim trees: Trim any trees or branches that are close to power lines to reduce the risk of power outages caused by fallen branches.
Essential Items to Have on Hand
In addition to the tips above, it is important to have a few essential items on hand in case of a power outage. Here are some of the most popular items to consider:
- Solar Lanterns from Solight Design: These solar-powered lanterns are a great alternative to traditional lanterns that require batteries or fuel. They are lightweight, waterproof, and the QWNN lamp and power bank can provide up to 48 hours of light on a single charge. Click here to see all of our lanterns available for purchase.
- Portable Power Bank: A portable power bank allows you to charge your devices on the go. Prices range from $20 to $100 depending on the capacity. Both the MegaPuff and QWNN lamp has a Powerbank that can charge your phone on the go.
- Hand-Crank Radio: A hand-crank radio allows you to stay informed about the news and weather during a power outage. Prices range from $20 to $50.
- Non-Perishable Food Items: Make sure to stock up on non-perishable food items such as canned goods, granola bars, and dried fruit.
- Battery-Powered Fan: A battery-powered fan can help keep you cool during a power outage. Prices range from $20 to $50.
Power Outage Wrap Up
Power outages can happen to anyone, anywhere, and at any time. It is important to be prepared by following the tips outlined above and having essential items on hand. By doing so, you can ensure the safety and comfort of yourself and your family during a power outage.